This isn’t a blog post about anything new, but it’s still exciting! For instructors who are just starting out in Canvas, it might be useful to know that you can check in and see when a student submitted their assignments. You can also see how many times they viewed a page for an assignment, as well as how many attempts/submissions were completed for that specific content. You can see some of this information in the Analytics, but the Student Access Report gives you more details all on one page. Here’s how:
- Go into the course that the student is enrolled in.
- Click on People in the Course Navigation to the left.
- Once you see the list of students in your course, click on the student’s name. This should bring you to their profile. (note: you can only view one student’s report at a time)
- On the right side of the screen, you should see a list of links. Click on Access Report.
- This will bring up a list of content that the student has accessed. This will include content pages, assignments, discussions, and quizzes.
This is a great tool for checking to make sure that a student is actually participating in the class. You can also see if they are viewing the pages last minute or ahead of time. If a student has not interacted with a page or piece of content, it will not show on this list.
You should also notice that the Last Viewed column is in order by time, so if you want to see the last date/time that a student access content in your course, this is the place.
At the conference I just went to, an instructor made the comment that she realized her students were skipping the information pages and going directly to the assignment page; she fixed this by adjusting her course so that students had to view a page before being to view the following pages and content. You can adjust that by following the instructions that can be found in the Canvas Guides here.
Pretty nifty, huh? Hopefully this will help you, the instructor, better understand your students’ participation in your courses.