As more and more courses get switched over to Canvas, we’ve had some reoccurring questions.
One of those questions has to do with adding time to a quiz for select students. This is used most often when a student requests an accommodation for test taking in a course. It’s actually very simple to adjust the time for a quiz for one or more students. The eLearning folks can help you with this, but it does have to be adjusted for each individual quiz and each individual student, so sometimes it’s just best to do it yourself. Here’s how:
- Go to the quiz you want to adjust by clicking on Quizzes in the Course Navigation on the left-side of the screen and then clicking on the name of the quiz.
- Click the Moderate This Quiz button on the right-side of the screen.
- Look for the student that needs the extended time for the quiz and click on the pencil icon to the right of the student’s name.
- Your quiz must have a time limit set in its Settings in order to add time to the quiz. You can also give extra attempts in this screen.
- Enter the amount of time you want to extend the quiz by — this means that if your quiz normally has a time limit of an hour, and you wish to add an additional half-of-an-hour for a student, you should enter 30 minutes. If you were to type in 90 minutes (the entire length of the extended quiz for the student), you would actually be giving them 2.5 hours to complete the quiz.
- Make sure to save this change before closing the window.
- Do this for each student who needs additional time in a quiz.
It sounds like a lot of steps, but once you’ve done it a few times, it’ll be easy-breezy to do in a second. Now you can give a little Time after Time in your courses!
Thanks from the eLearning Office
360.736.9391 EXT 672