Fully Online classes are easier!
Sorry, not so. If a normal class meets 5 hours a week with anticipated 10+ hours of homework per week, you can estimate that PLUS MORE for a fully online class. Let’s face it, your teacher will not there face-to-face, feeding you information. You’ll have to dig it out yourself, read things carefully (more than once). And then when you add technology learning/issues – yeow!
Think carefully whether a fully online class is right for you.
- How are your computer skills, really?
- Is your computer fairly new? Less than two years old?
- Can you save a wordprocessed file in multiple formats?
- Can you find files once you save them?
- Do you have reliable internet access? (dial-up can be frustrating)
- How comfortable are you when you have to troubleshoot computer problems?
- Are you willing to ask questions? Lots of questions?
- Are you willing to crash-and-burn a little, and come back and keep working?
- Are you an independent learner? Can you get by without daily teacher contact?
- Can you use online help?
- Do you have a dedicated workplace? That’s quiet?
- Do you have a backup plan? Where will you go if you have last minute computer problems?
- Are your reading skills at college level?
- Are your writing skills at college level?
- Do you manage your time well? (if you’re a procrastinator… bummer!)
- Will you participate in class discussions – online?
- Are you ok working out of your comfort zone?
- How committed are you, to your own success?